Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cursed Part 2

for the earlier part: Cursed Part 1 (october archive)
29.10.2009

After surrendering to seniority, white hair of Keshav uncle I promised to myself I will act just opposite to my nature and show his employees what attitude is all about…

I went to the office, Jhumamasi showed up within an hour. She took one of the girls of the office aside and asked her to call me up during lunch hour.

“Don’t take your lunch alone in your seat, join the girls.” She told me later. “Slowly it will break the ice and will keep the people who are bothering you silent.”

I too thought that and started to eat with them. Even though I could clearly see their coldness hidden under their politeness I practiced polite warmth. Because I knew they can afford to be rude to me, I cant, because it was my aunty’s office, and I was answerable to her.

Slowly their second skin started to fall off. I have been an avid reader of all sorts of detective books. I started to observe certain things in them and then used to test them under the wrap of innocence.

Sometimes my relatives from home used to call me up during office hours, as I did not had a phone at home.

I used to note that whenever a phone came one of the girls used to flitter around me, as if trying to understand the conversation which I was having with the person on the other side. Though they pretended they did not knew a single word of bengali.

I started my own game, I used to watch them keenly and say most offensive things in pure bengali about them to see how the colours of their faces changed. They used to look at my placid face keenly to note if I have guessed their games.

Though they were too sly to be caught red handed, I guessed that a lot of them can understand bengali but pretend that they don’t.

Next I started my experiments with the eavesdropping case. There also I started to play the same game, I used to raise my voice to various levels before getting abusive about the employees of blue star, mentioning their names… and soon I realized that most probably they have bugged the households.

My suspects were naturally Ritumasi and her sons.

31.10.2009

Soma became my shadow. Wherever I went she was sure to go (other than office) even when I visited Jhumamasi’s home she stayed there with me in place of going to her mother’s home. Even if she did, she used to return before my returning from office.

It seemed mystery was second name of Rajpur. Things started to disappear and come back on their own. I still remember the day when I first became aware of this disappearing and returning act. A bunch of letters arrived from my family, I was reading one of them when Sulata called me and I got busy with her.

I returned after half an hour and saw that the letters have vanished, I searched every where but could not locate them.

When I returned from office next day they were back, they were at a place where I always searched first… under my pillow.

That again convinced me someone is over curious about my personal life.. the only person who could smuggle those letters out was Soma. But to whom? Both Sharma and Jain family were hundred percent Marwaris.. though they knew Hindi well but none knew B of bengali.

My suspicion again reverted back to Ritumasi, it was not impossible for Soma to call them up and tell them that a bunch of mails have arrived for me, someone might have been waiting outside to fetch those mails. They might have been done it before without being caught.

As it happens, when an innocent person is forced to suspect, he or she starts to suspect every one.

I always had a feeling about Sulata that she was Bengali, and Abhishek though he claimed he was a Marwari born and brought up upto his college in Sawai Madhopur, looked like a typical bengali guy.

I still distinctly remember how I asked Rik if Sulata was bengali when I first saw her from the roof top, she was in the courtyard below doing something.

A deep suspicion started to form that they were living there with some other intention.

The thing which fuelled my suspicion most were the weird things Sulata used to say quite often.

Things which were often outrageous to my small town taste. She used to glorify the lifestyle and happiness of a friend of hers who became a mistress of a rich old man. I never had the taste of asking her if that man had another wife or not.

Or she used to do things which I have only seen sex workers doing on silver screen. The same gestures of body or eyes, which are trademark of these women.

I used to feel quite uneasy with these behaviours, even though I had deep sympathy for sex workers but I would have never loved it if someone thought her as one. So I one day blurted out some thing about these gestures and some offensive words about sex workers.

I saw the colour of her face changing. Though she recovered it instantly but for a second she lost her composure.

That one incident started a journey of nightmare for me I believe. Wise people say that if you call Jesus Christ evil he will forgive you, but if you call devil evil he will leave no stone unturned to destroy you, such is the fury of a guilty soul.

to be continued ...............

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Trisha,

    Hahahaha, thats lovely, your character have some spirit. She has become a she devil all of a sudden, I see :) I like the transformation. It is a real metamorphosis.

    I am reading the stories simply as a enthusiast now. So I won't say what I felt about certain passages I found wrong. May be you were distracted by some one else then :) Don't allow it, you have a responsibility towards your only reader though I am only paying good words as remuneration for it.

    Ask a very hefty fee if they want to distract you when you are writing for me( name the amount in lakhs, you know you are acting against the best interest of your friend. I am sure they would pay it! And it would make you secure in life!) Or give me their names, I shall bring them to book.

    Agreed? I have been dealing with meddlers all my life. I know how to prise out their fangs. They normally go weak in their knees when they face me.

    So terrify them with my name. And if you get say Ten Lakhs out of them, pay me say fifty percent of it.

    This is my story on your story :)

    Write away dearest Trisha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest sam,
    my main character will never turn into a she devil.. that much i can assure you, its just the transformation of a small town girl to a worldly wise girl..

    if you have seen any evil glint thats wrong signal :)

    i really think that you have not seen a she devil till date, if you had you would not even have dreamed about calling this innocent girl (who is trying to save her neck) a she devil.. wait till you meet one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Trisha,

    I am a worshiper of the Goddess Kali, my dear Trisha,may be not in her worst forms but still, she is my "Para devata".

    There is a saying in my land

    "Would the Satan catch the Bhadra Kali?". Bhadra Kali is the worst form of the goddess.

    You know, the greatest of the western Satans, would put his poor tail between his legs and flee, the moment he sees my goddess. He would quake till his entrails fall out of him in a trickle. In her both the bad and good in its essence manifests.

    You live in Bengal, where she is known and yet believes or is frightened about puny little she devils?

    I am surprised. You need to get out the flimsy western notions of belief in good and evil being separate entities and accepting good alone. You need to understand that we always assert what we vehemently deny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah!!!! i dont think that we assert what we vehemently deny.. :)

    all our religious scriptures say to shun evil like plague.. sammy boy!!! read your old scriptures.. read gita and other religious scriptures including budhdhist ones..

    i no longer have any favourite god/goddess they have merged into one.

    ma kali is worshipped as mother by family folks and bestower of darkest power by people who do tantrik stuffs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mainly read philosophy, all kinds, from plato to santayana from Kapila to Sankaracharya, In moral codes I think I have read from Hamurabi to the human rights declaration of the present day.

    If you take the pain to go through them you will learn that this sin and evil that you speak of are subjective phenomena and are subject to interpretations. There is nothing absolute in them. They are man made, not god give as you suppose.

    Desire is the only sin that the Indian and as well as the Buddhist philosophy and thought speaks of. But to you dearest Trisha desire would not be a sin, you would not be able to imagine that the desire for love could be a sin. But you say it again and again in your commentary on the Geeta.

    Lovely contradiction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sam, my dear naive sam.. i dont believe in that entity shown in onida ads.. the one with green skin, two horns and a tale..

    i know evil lives inside human soul but there are souls which are completely free of its control.. like jesus christ and there are souls which are completely under its control like hitler..

    you really dont think that i believe in that mythical creature do you?

    growl growl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I do, not in the way it is depicted in the onida ad. But your mention of Jesus Christ has confirmed my conviction of your belief in such a personage.

    After all, he tempted Christ as per bible, who of course is a mythical figure, no historical evidence of him existing at any period in human history.

    The period of which we are talking about is well documented. After Herodotus the art of recording history was very much in vogue at that time. No western historian has been able to prove that Christ actually existed. So if you believe in Christ you are duty bound to believe in Satan.


    You seems to be very weak in history but still likes to call me naive.

    I think you need to do some real reading dearest Trisha, if you do that you will start seeing your present beliefs crumbling.

    I can see that your well set beliefs are already shaking to their foundations. If you go on reading more of my fact based 'naive' comments you will become a new person in no time. Please don't fight facts. You can only fight facts with facts proving against them. Not by denying everything and not facing the issue by 'intelligently' skirting the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont want to end up like you. :)

    i am quite happy where i am, in the world where a clear line is drawn between evil and good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that you are completely cross with me I can't even remark that you are being unpredictable again. Look at the predicament I am in.

    Honestly if you did end up like me, you would be liberated from the unending cycle of births and deaths. As you don't seem to like that, let it be as you wish.

    I know you won't believe this. But when I say something it comes to pass ;)

    ReplyDelete